“ Nice tower you got there. Would be a shame if this X-Bow whittled it down from this side of the Arena…”
The X-Bow is unlocked from Arena 6 (Builder’s Workshop). It is a long-ranged building that is used in specific decks that intend to cycle X-Bows quickly so it can lock on to your opponent’s tower.
Strategy to using X-Bow
The X-Bow is a card that has been a part of the meta of Clash Royale since it’s release. It has had various levels of success but has sort of a cult following by a few players. Although X-Bow can feel utterly useless due to the high skill level required to use it effectively, it can be incredible in the hands of a skilled player. A huge part of playing X-Bow correctly is being in tandem with the rest of the cards in the deck.
The X-Bow itself is not what makes playing the deck hard. Defending with it is relatively simple once you know the positionings, and using it in coordination with Tesla. Here are a couple of concepts you should know.
- The anti- Fireball X-Bow is great when you want to prevent unnecessary tower damage. It is 3 tiles up and one in the other lane.
- The anti- Poison X-Bow still protects you but keeps your opponent from getting big value Poisons. It is on the opposite tower, with the corners of each building touching.
- If you place down an X-Bow and your opponent counters it effectively, place your Tesla in its regular defensive position. You don’t need to place a Tesla down to protect your X-Bow every time, especially when your opponent is taking your X-Bow out with spells.
- An X-Bow placed in the center of your side is uncommon but can be used when you already have one tower down.
Facing an X-Bow deck can be very annoying. Your opponent seems to have a limitless supply of cheap defensive units and will continue to pump out X-Bows. You need to maintain a fast cycle to ensure that you have counters in hand. The biggest counter to the X-Bow is large tanks. These can be placed in the center, opposite lane to counter push the other side. However, when playing these big tank decks, you need to avoid playing them in the back, as your opponent will play an opposite lane X-Bow. Big spells, swarms, and tank-killers can also do the job if need be.
Best Decks for X-Bow (Current Meta)
Check out this X-Bow Deck Guide for more details.
Best Matchups for X-Bow
X-Bow decks play very differently depending on the matchup. In general, however, you want to play defensively and then continuously put X-Bows out in double elixir. Royal Giant, Golem, and Giant decks are some of the hardest matchups. They are hard to win unless your opponent overcommits.
How to Counter X-Bow
Hey Royale Clashers! It’s Krux here, with another guide to help you make your game easier and more enjoyable. We will be talking about how to counter X-bow in Clash Royale today.
The X-bow is unlocked early in the game in the Builder’s Workshop (Arena 6). It is a building card that costs 6 elixirs to deploy. It can be used both as an offensive as well as defensive unit owing to its moderate hitpoints and moderate damage. It targets a single troop once till it the troop is sent to heaven.
It’s near to impossible if you haven’t come across it and didn’t get annoyed. If you say so, you lying. X-bow has been in the decks lately as many people in upper arenas (12+) use X-bow cycles. X-bow and Hog rider cycle is very popular and I come across one every day more than twice.
How can the X-bow harm you?
An X-bow ignored is a tower lost. You wouldn’t want to test the verity of the last statement. The most irritating an X-Bow can get is when it gets locked onto one of your towers.
- An X-bow will lock onto your crown tower when no enemies are in sight and dealing weights of damage to the crown tower. We will want to avoid this at all costs.
- The X-bow is used in a combo with another little building (usually Tesla) or a bait troop. It makes it last longer. And the longer it attacks us, the worse.
Information that will help us in defending against it:
- It takes 3.5 seconds for the X-bow to deploy after placing it on the arena.
- It can’t attack air units
- It is locked onto a target until it dies
Cards to use against the X-Bow
Minions are a group of three blue beasts with an elixir cost of 3. They have a fast attack speed and this makes it a good defense. Put your bluebirds directly above the X-bow and it will vanish quickly. You can place them quickly even before the Bow starts shooting as you can see it getting deployed. Use these when it is closer to the bridge. If the X-bow is in the middle or in their part of the arena, then their towers might kill your minions before they can deal take it out.
This is a good elixir trade as an X-bow costs 6 elixir, but you will likely want to back them up.
Six fast, unarmored flying attackers. A whole bunch of claws and wings are called Minion horde. Deploy your horde above the machine and they destroy it with an awesome display of claw-work. This is also a good elixir trade as it costs lesser. Also, this is faster than defending with a single unit. Use them if the shotting machine has already locked onto your tower or is going to in a second.
The cute looking green dude is for your rescue. Another air unit and unsusceptible to harm by the X-Bow. It burps fireballs on the wooden machine until it breaks down. But be sure that our fiery friend is a bit slower and it may take some time to take the Bow out. Not recommended if the Bow is locked onto the tower as it will deal damage continuously.
Use the baby dragon in combination with another land unit like the Hog rider or Giant which attacks buildings. They will take the damage while the Dragon burns it.
If you are using a loon deck, this is probably a good time to let the hot air balloon out in the arena. It will deal good damage and take the X-bow out easily. And guess what? It will move onto the opponent’s towers forcing them to deploy something to counter if they don’t wanna see their walls falling down.
These were some air troops that are reliable in countering an annoying X-bow that your enemy has placed on the otherwise nice arena. Now it is rare (also not suggested) that you don’t have any air units. What?! Okay, still there may be a chance that you used your card right before it and now you can’t cycle it again. Here are some land units which counter the X-bow.
Skarmy comes handy if you have no other option on your four cards. This is an emergency! To stop it from shooting it into your tower walls, let the skeletons run out on it. It will kill each one of them one by one…but they are just too many and they will seriously shorten its lifespan if not wipe it out completely off the arena. Beware of the arrows and the log though!
Giants and other tanks are good counters to the machine as they have a high amount of hitpoints and attacks buildings. They will destroy it or keep them distracted for enough time and your air unit takes it out. It will become a counter push with your tank and the air unit heading for their tower. Giant can be replaced by Bowler or Mega Knight. Pair them with air units or a swarm counter unit like the Wizard.
A Royal Giant taking out an X-bow and making the X-bower cry.
The Rocket is the most trustworthy and effective counter to the X-Bow due to the fact that the Rocket almost obliterates it instantly, letting the X-Bow only take a few shots. The Rocket can also destroy or cripple common X-Bow defenses like the Archers or Knight that your opponent might place with it. It is a good idea to place a small unit to bring up the Tesla so you can hit it too.
Best Tips to Countering X-Bow:
- An X-Bow takes 3.5 seconds to deploy, giving you adequate time to place cards to distract the X-Bow and prevent it from locking onto your Crown Towers. Take advantage and place some good troops. With sufficient cards, this can then be turned into a punishing counter-push.
- A Zap retargets the X-bow! If you just miss your timing for a distraction and the X-Bow is locked on to your Crown Tower then Zap will force the X-Bow to re-target to the nearest being, which is expectedly a tank troop by your side. Use this wisely.
- Use spells like Fireball or Lightening if you opponent tries to push and places troops near the X-Bow itself.
- Do not panic place all your cards on it and end up losing the match. This is the most useful tip here.
I hope you enjoyed the article and also learnt that the X-bow is irritating at times but with a little patience and good decision, it can be countered without losing the precious elixir. We will be back with another good guide soon. See you!