The whole Clash Royale gameplay is about upgrading cards but do you really know when should you upgrade cards and which ones should you upgrade? Today, I am going to show you some supyonamesjosh’s opinions about this topic. They are very helpful and I strongly believe they can help you somehow!
How to Strategically Upgrade Cards
Which cards should I upgrade?
First, you should answer these 2 questions:
- Why do you want to upgrade it?
- Why do you upgrade any card?
And consider 2 points:
- Gold is limited, not your cards.
- Gold costs are identical for identical card rarity/level upgrades.
Now, I am going to show you which are the best cards for you to spend your Gold on.
If you are not using a card, just don’t upgrade it
Don’t ever waste your Gold! It is precious! If you upgrade your Freeze Spell for no reason, it’s such a big waste. Don’t do that my friends. Just wait until you really need it or at least when you need some more XP to reach the next level (but don’t do that If it takes thousands).
Not all upgrades are equal
The most important factor in deciding which cards to upgrade.
How will the upgrade compare to your opponent’s counters? For example:
- A Musketeers of equal level can’t be killed by a Fireball.
- Zap level 8 can’t finish off Goblins level 9
How about If there isn’t any hard counters to the cards I am considering?
Nice question! Let’s take a look at this example, assuming that I am going to upgrade either Spear Goblins or Royal Giant:
|Spear Goblins: Level 8 to 9||Royal Giant: Level 8 to 9|
|HP 100 (+10)||HP 2316 (+228)|
|Damage 46 (+4)||Damage 144 (+15)|
|DPS 35 (+3)||DPS 96 (+10)|
Most players will think Royal Giant upgrade a slam dunk one, yes it is, but you will want to consider these things:
- The provided numbers are for a single Spear Goblin, not all 3 Spear Goblins. In real life, you are getting +9 damage change.
- While Royal Giant can’t be placed in almost any deck, Spear Goblins can, they are extremely versatile and you literally can use them during the whole game.
- While Royal Giant may be getting nerfed in the future, I don’t think that Spear Goblins will share the same fate. Upgrading Royal Giant to a high level is a riskier move.
Which cards in my deck should I upgrade?
You should upgrade all of them. Yes, every single one.
If you are only upgrading cards you are using, you will have a deck of fully upgraded cards.
- Just don’t constantly switch decks and cards. Level 4 Rare or Level 2 Epic is not good at all at Arena 7 and higher. Card level is one of the obvious factor helping you win the battle. Don’t use a deck no matter how OP other players say it is, If your cards are low levels. Stick with decks evolving around your best cards.
- Use cards you like, stick with them and upgrade them. Never play low leveled cards.
Now, once you have a nice deck, you should:
- Constantly request a card and upgrade it to beat counters. Some great choices for you at here are Goblins (can’t be killed by Zap low level) and Zap (can kill Minion Hordes at 2 levels above).
- Upgrade the rest of your decks to tournament required levels ( Commons level 9, Rares level 7, Epics level 4, Legend level 1). You will want to be ready with a tournament competitive deck.
- Pick a second card to upgrade above counters (I recommend choosing Spells such as Zap to kill Minion Horde, Arrows to kill Princess,…).
- Start working on a versatile card or a card which is pivotal in your deck. For example, request Spear Goblins (which can be put in almost any deck) or Hog Rider (the main damage dealer of all Hog Rider decks).
When should I purchase a Legendary from Shop?
Question: Why should I buy Legendary?
Answer: … Because it is Legendary!
This is obviously a good choice, but, 40k Gold is such a difficult decision. I think I should outline 2 rules for you first and I think you should follow them. If you don’t fit either, It’s up to you!
- Always buy a Legendary If you find it extremely hard to stay in Legendary Arena without it. If you are in a super long losing streak and only a Legendary card can help you stay there, just but it. Legendary is just so juicy, it will help you a ton!
- Don’t buy any Legendary card If your main deck isn’t fully upgraded to the tournament caps. 40k Gold is just a lot! It’s better to spend them on the cards of your best deck!
Okay guys so that’s everything I want to share with you today. Hopefully you have enjoyed this small guide. Good luck further my friends!